THE ART OF EFFECTIVE NEGOTIATION AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION
In the constantly changing environment of modern business, firms start and grow by virtue of effective negotiations and establishing long-term relationships across the value chain, in various business processes. In the same vein, these established relationships, on which businesses thrive, can be wrecked, when there is a gap in the art of sustaining effective negotiation and proper conflict resolution approaches.
In reality, negotiation is part of how we communicate in and out of the workplace, thus it is a necessity in every sphere of life. This implies that in any setting, it can be improved through training and practice. By rethinking the negotiation and conflict resolution processes, it is possible to achieve more equitable and beneficial results when attempting to reach an agreement.
As a result of the realization that sustaining relationships is a fundamental determinant of business success, the need for an awareness of the barriers that can inhibit effective negotiations, and taking steps to reach mutually agreeable conclusion on business matters, so as to reduce conflict, cannot be underestimated.
Negotiation refers to the process of interacting in order to advance individual interests, through joint action.
Conflict is a form of interaction among parties that differ in interest, perceptions and preferences.
These concepts are an inevitable part of our lives but how we view it and how we deal with it can turn it from being an unpleasant experience into one where we learn and grow. When conflicts go unaddressed, they can have a negative impact on productivity and teamwork. Using conflict resolution and negotiation strategies in the workplace will help maintain a healthy work environment. Conflict resolution requires specific leadership skills, problem solving abilities and decision making skills.
LEARNER’S LEARNING OUTCOME
This course will help participants to understand how conflict can be positive and how effective conflict management skills can equip them with tools and techniques used to effectively deal with conflict situations.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Identify causes of conflict
- Acquire the skills required to predict conflict and the proactive measures to deal with them
- Describe how diversity and differences can be harnessed
- Demonstrate strategies that avoid escalation of conflict
- Demonstrate techniques to show empathy and rapport
- Recognise cognitive heuristics that lead to poor negotiation decisions
- Identify a range of negotiation strategies and the consequences of only using a single strategy across different contexts
- Label different phases of a negotiation and learn what to do in each phase
- Understand how the skills and strategies can be applied to common workplace scenarios
- Explore different explanations for the origins of human conflict
- Understand a general framework for analysing and resolving conflict
- Problem solve quickly and effectively
- Handle customer complaints appropriately
- Negotiate a successful outcome
- Deploy negotiation tactics to conflict resolution
- Understand how to bargain from a position of strength
- Master the tools and skills of successful positional bargaining and principled negotiation.
- The psychology of conflict.
- Conflict as an integral component for organizational effectiveness
- The Cultural dimensions to conflict
- The Negotiation Environment – culture, practices and negotiation styles.
- The Psychology of Successful Negotiation – communication profile, motivation, best practices, impact of beliefs and values.
- Emotional intelligence in Conflict Resolution.
- Effective conflict management strategies
- Building psychological readiness
- The Five-Step Negotiation Process Model
- Planning Wise Negotiation Outcomes
- Structuring Positional Analysis
- Planning Components and Negotiation Approaches
- Physical Fitness for Negotiation Success
- Impact of Culture on Effective Negotiation
- Influencing the Outcome of Your Negotiation
- Negotiating from the point of Strength
- Formal lectures
- Case studies
- Group exercises
- Experience sharing
- Role Playing
- Positive attitude
- Increased productivity
- Improved brand recognition
- Improved relationships
- Employee motivation
WHO CAN ATTEND THE TRAINING?
Leaders and managers of profit and non-profit organizations responsible for general management and personnel/industrial relations; Managers and Heads of functions (such as Human Resources, Procurement, Finance, Administration and Planning); frontline supervisors and staff constantly involved in contract negotiation and conflict resolution.
COURSE DURATION AND FEE:
The price to the training intervention for a period of three (3) days is Eighty-five thousand naira (#85,000) per participants. Under the following assumptions
- CERTIFICATION EDGE will not be responsible for the training venue and feeding of participants.
- The class will contain a minimum of 20 participants.
- Cost does not include VAT